|Posted by shawn cassidy on July 24, 2013 at 1:15 AM|
(This will be a new nightly post that reviews today's articles on other sites, and some news and notes.)
ESPN Boston examined the roster, and where it stands with 16 guys under contract with signings of Pressey and Brazilian Faverani. Here's a roster breakdown with salaries.
* Point Guards: Rajon Rondo ($12 million), Pressey ($0.5 million)
* Shooting Guards: Avery Bradley ($2.5 million), Courtney Lee ($5.2 million), MarShon Brooks ($1.2 million), Keith Bogans ($5.1 million), Jordan Crawford ($2.2 million)
* Small Forwards: Jeff Green ($9 million), Gerald Wallace ($10.1 million)
* Power Forwards: Jared Sullinger ($1.4 million), Brandon Bass ($6.5 million), Kris Humphries ($12 million), Kelly Olynyk ($2 million)
* Centers: Faverani ($2 million), Shavlik Randolph ($1.1 million), Fab Melo ($1.3 million)
* Unsigned draft picks: Colton Iverson ($490,180)
The Celtics currently have a total salary commitment of roughly $73.8 million. With this team building for the future, Danny and the owners want to stay below the luxury tax. The tax line this season is 71.75 million, and with the roster full of shooting guards, and at 16 players already with only 15 allowed on the roster, the C's will make a move by training camp, or during camp. If I would guess, it would be Jordan Crawford shipped out. Lee is still on a long contract that most teams may want to stay away from, and Bogans is an expiring deal that the Celtics may want down the road.
I think for anyone who's played basketball at some level, can relate a bit. Even if you lost your athletic gift, or legs, you can still shoot the ball. Larry Bird can still shoot the rock.Bird's current star player Paul George had this to say about the living legend.
"He picked a ball up that had rolled over. He rolled up his sleeves and made about 15 in a row and just walked out like nothing just happened. It was the craziest thing I’ve seen."-Paul George
Categories: Celtics Nightcap